The California Center for Infant-Family and Early Childhood Mental Health (California Center) assists policymakers, funders and organizations to design and implement high quality practices that promote the healthy social and emotional development of children under the age of 5. The California Center provides professional development opportunities for individuals who are either building their skills or retraining in the infant-family and early childhood mental health specialty.
Training Topic Examples
Parenting, Caregiving, Family Functioning, and Parent-Child Relationships
• Supporting parents to grow attuned and supportive relationships
- Importance of relationships to development
- Attachment and the meaning of building a sense of security and safety
Infant, Toddler, and Preschool Development
- Typical and atypical development in infancy, toddler, and/or preschool periods
- Cultural and familial variability with respect to developmental milestones and expectations
Biological and Psychosocial Factors Impacting Outcomes
- Neurobehavioral issues
- Impact of caregiving on brain development
Risk and Resiliency
- Separation and loss in families (deportation, deployment, hospitalization…)
- Working with parents with mental health issues
- Impact of interpersonal trauma and violence
- Promoting parenting strategies that build lifelong resilience
Observation, Screening, and Assessment
- Observing young children in the context of their primary relationships
- Diversity-informed assessment
- Understanding the referral process (what to look for when referring, when to refer, how to link to services)
Diagnosis and Intervention
- Using the DC 0-5 to inform the diagnostic process
- Strategies to promote infant-family and early childhood mental health
- Strategies for preventive intervention addressing social and emotional-behavioral vulnerabilities
- Therapeutic options, including current knowledge of evidence-based practices (i.e., those informed by
research, professional wisdom, and parental/family values)
- Respecting boundaries and scope of practice
- Working together with the family and other providers to create an integrated plan
- Ethics of working with infants and toddlers and their families
Support for Practitioners
- Introduction to reflective practice and optimal use of supervision and training resources
- Reducing stress and secondary trauma
For Supervisors and Administrators (e.g. program directors, agency leaders…)
- Principles of Reflective Practice
- Reflective Practice/Supervision Support
- Building and Sustaining Relationship-based Organizations
- Implementation and Sustainability
- Understanding and Developing Supportive Organizational Cultures
- Variations in Service Delivery between Center and Home-based Work
- Supporting a Diverse Workforce
- Coaching and Mentoring
The California Center offers a variety of training approaches including training-of-trainers, cohort training programs, and topic-specific workshops. These services can be delivered through direct on-site training, online delivery, and other distance technology. Because we know that one-time trainings tend not to be effective for creating meaningful change, we work with you to determine training needs including theory-to-practice follow-up sessions carried out by our staff or your own staff with support from our training team.
Training Package Examples
Nine in-person training days interspersed over one year;
Two and a half hours per month of virtual follow-up and case study discussion.
One content area presented to a group no larger than 25 attendees for a one to two-day training;
One, two-hour follow-up virtual discussion for each attendee in smaller groups of up to 13 people.
One content area presented for a one- to two-day training with appropriate theory-to-practice planned and carried out by our staff or your own personnel.
A customized training with selected topics and formats and theory-to-practice that stresses application and practice.
Additional resources and materials available.
Reflective practice facilitation groups also available.
Please contact email@example.com for a custom quote based on your specific training needs.